Thursday 2 October 2014

Dreaming...



Yonks ago I was down at Maldon wandering along the quay there.  A lovely estuary with a couple of barges and some other boats to be seen.  Most of this part of Essex is low lying estuary  filled with the yachts of the wealthy.  At least you need to be wealthy to buy one of these things and then learn how to drive one.  There have been such craft sheltered around here for generations, indeed one reason the Romans chose Colchester as their home was the ease of boats from Rome trundling up the river and almost into the town.  The yachts are a wee bit more sophisticated today but admirable as they are I refer something with a bit of character and this Tugboat suits me more than an expensive boat.
Now I realise you are indicating somewhat caustically that the last time I was at sea was standing on the old bridge at Leith harbour and even then I felt seasick however I would like to dream about being a sailor!  The crossing off the oceans, on a quiet day that is, would be enjoyable I say.  Slowly cruising past Greek Islands, wandering about the Indian ocean, or viewing the landmass of Australia - from a distance, would be intriguing.  Actually all that on a small cruise ship, with good lunches and competent crew, might be better than slogging around on an old tug.  The only problem with cruise ships as far as I can see would be the other passengers!  
Ho hum, I must go and dream on....

.

7 comments:

Lee said...

And the 100ft and higher waves....

Carol said...

We have some 74 cruise ships coming into Cairns and Far North Queensland this cruising season. Let me know if you are on one of them Adullaman.

Jenny Woolf said...

Maybe uou could cruise over to Brightlingsea or somewhere like that on one of those great old Essex sailing barges with the dark red sails. Australia has better weather though. But the barges are much more interesting than those floating egg boxes they call cruise ships.

Arlynda Lea Beuterbaugh said...

We don't get to see things like that, right in the middle of the USA. Sister and I did see the mammoth military ships, still in awe just thinking of them.

Adullamite said...

Lee, Let's not bring that up again.

Carol, You don't think I would actually enter Cairns surely? Ptah! I'd send a servant!

Jenny, Ah yes Thames barges and Suffolk Wherries I think they are called. Lovely to watch in the open sea.

AL, Tsk! You need to move to the coast! Naval ships are indeed something else!

Lee said...

Hahahahaha! Good one, Mr. Ad-Man! :)

Lady Di Tn said...

Prince and I found that if you walk the deck at night, no one is around because they are gambling or watching shows etc. We would go to the captain club and sit and watch the world go by. Also, each morning I would get up and go to the top deck and see the sun rise as he showered. Only once did I come across another human who was watching the sun come up. Peace