Monday 10 November 2014

Bah!



I found myself writing Christmas cards today.  Not that I write many, you need friends for that, but I had the list of requirements in front of me, selected appropriate cards, cheap ones for them, a couple of good ones for the others, and began to slug it out.  Luckily I soon realised there was one or two things to buy before I could complete the job so dumped it back in the cupboard. 
Some years ago I was sending a lot of cards and realised many folks returned them simply because I sent them one, this did not indicate they wished to know me.  So one year I only sent cards to those who may well have expected one or wished to keep in touch.  Amongst these for some years was an aunt who I always wrote a wee note to around this time reminding her of my need of Christmas presents, I never received any!  She expected something from me mind! having curtailed the cards I sent the next year those who offered cards 'just because' fell away, both saved time and money.  We have family and close friends, we then have friends and acquaintances we know well, around them lies a third ring as it were, these represent people we may meet often, get on well with but do not need to supply with gifts, cards or anything but a greeting and a handshake. Today of course all can be dealt with by internet cards or email greetings, cheap, more efficient than post, and for those who feel the need to describe the past years activities to the world a far better thing all round.  
My biggest expenses  have been paid, only one or two things to think about, one or two funny cards maybe, and then prepare to send them at the beginning of December.  I always post early as I understand what the post is like, this also of course reminds others to get their cards sorted and then send me one.  

       .

6 comments:

Lee said...

I don't send many Christmas cards these days...and I do send some e-cards and also pass my best wishes on to all and sundry through FB.

I am strange, I know...but I get very annoyed when people I see often post me Christmas cards. One time when I was still marriedwe had invited friends to share Christmas dinner with us and in the post a few days prior to Christmas we received a card from the couple we'd invited to join us in our celebratory lunch!!!! It really annoyed me...and my husband.

These days I send about four cards via snail mail.

carol in cairns said...

The etiquette of Christmas cards hmm ~ wake me in January when it is all over.

the fly in the web said...

Thank goodness you reminded me! I send e cards - given the uncertainty attached to any post which has to pass by the U.S.A., but mother demands a 'proper' card so I'll have to get myself into action and find one before she unleashes words of mass destruction upon me...

Adullamite said...

Lee, Indeed we learned long ago that such cards need not be posted. In fact many of mine go to my sister, she can pass them on to the others!

Carol, Just send those you need/wish to. Don't be pressurised, plead poverty!

Fly, Post today! I can hear her asking the postman about the card.

Lady Di Tn said...

After reading, I now feel like the photo. I like sending cards,period. Whether it is e cards or paper ones. It is the thought that counts, and when the person gets the card, well they know they were being thought of by me for a little while at least. I also like to have Thanksgiving before I start thinking of Christmas. Peace

Adullamite said...

Lady, Send us a card (don't forget to put the money inside)